The university remains open, with emergency management protocols activated and operational modifications and precautions in place. Read the latest updates.
Wellness and Prevention Services is open and operating during the Covid-19 Pandemic. Most of our services have moved online, so that all of our students, no matter where they may be, can access them safely. This page will be updated on a regular basis as we are able to add details and more programming. Keep checking back! See below for details on how to access our services.
Wellness and Prevention Services is not a primary care facility. Student Health Services serves as App State's primary care provider. Please contact Student Health Services at (828) 262-3100 for questions regarding COVID-19 testing or other physician-related services.
Mountaineer Emergeny Fund
The Mountaineer Emergency Fund assists App State students who are facing financial challenges that are significant barriers to academic success. Students who encounter an unforeseen financial emergency or urgent situation that would prevent them from continuing their App State education may apply for short term, emergency assistance. Please click here to learn more about the fund.
One on One Clinical Services
- Nutrition Services/Appointments will be available via Zoom. Please schedule your intake or followup appointment through Medportal. Having trouble? View instructions.
- Substance Use counseling, Wellness counseling and Conduct referrals will occur via Zoom. Please schedule your intake or followup appointment through Medportal. Having trouble? View instructions.
- If you have scheduling conflicts or you need assistance obtaining a confidential meeting site, please call our office during normal business hours at (828) 262 - 3148.
Collegiate Recovery Community
- Speaker Meetings
- 4th Wednesday of every month via Zoom
- All Recovery Support Meetings occur on Wednesdays 5:30-7 PM via Zoom. For students seeking recovery or recovery curious support to substance use, eating concerns, addictive behavior patterns, and mental health using a SMART Recovery format.
- All Recovery BIPOC Support Meetings occurs 2x a month on Wednesdays from 4-5 PM. October/November meetings will be held 10/14, 10/28, and 11/11 via Zoom. Peer support regarding susbtance use, mental health, eating and other areas of recovery. Open to those in recovery and those contemplated recovery. Tailored for those who identify as Black, Indigenous, and/or persons of color.
Special "Social Distancing" Events
- Health, Wellness, and Safety Walk: August 25th- September 4th. Information about this event can be found here.
- POC Connection Space on Tuesdays: September 22nd, October 20th and November 17th at 6 PM via Zoom. - This is a non-counseling space for students who identify as People of Color to connect over experiences related to intersectionality, culture, and the systems we live in.
- Black Student Connection Space on Thursdays: September 3rd and October 8th at 6:30 PM via Zoom. The specific Black Student Connection Space will be cancelled for the month of November. Instead the connection space will be partnered with Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc for the same day 11/5/2020 in order to hold a space for processing the election. Time is TBA. - The Multicultural Center is teaming up with Wellness and Prevention Services to facilitate this connection space. This is a non-counseling space for Black students to connect over experiences related to intersectionality, self/community care, and the systems we live in.
- LGBTQ Connection Space on Thursdays: September 17th, October 15th, and November 12th at 5:30 PM via Zoom. - This is a non-counseling space for students who identify within the LGBTQ community to connect over experiences related to intersectionality, self/community appreciation and the systems we live in.
- Submit your mental health story to be considered for the y(OUR) Story Spring 2021 production.
Peer to Peer Services
- Virtual Wellness Coaching sessions with trained peer educators are available. Students need to request an appointment.
Classes and Trainings
- Online Suicide Prevention Training is available 24/7.
- View the Koru Mindfulness class schedule for the Fall 2020 Semester. Classes will be held live via Zoom.
- Sign up for our Go At Your Own Pace 4 week meditation classes. There are no scheduled meetings and all content can be viewed on your own time. There is a one-time $3.99 fee to use the Koru app for these Go At Your Own Pace classes. Register for our September session by September 8th at 12pm and our October session by October 5th at 9am.
- The y(OUR) Story Mental Health Show virtually premiered on March 24th at 7:30pm. You can view the show, as well as art created for the show, here.
- The Power of Nutrition recording was recorded on March 28 at 2pm. View the recording.
- Navigating Romantic Relationships within the LGBT Community Panel Discussion was held on Monday April 6 at 6:15pm. You can now access the recording.
- A virtual Out of the Darkness Fundraising Walk was held on Saturday April 18 at 12pm. View the recording.
- Career as a Journey Panel Discussion was held on Monday April 20th at 6pm. You can now access the recording.
- Take Back the Night was held on April 23rd. You can view the video here.
- The Clothesline Project Photo album can be found here.