Student Health Advisory Committee
The purpose of SHAC is to promote preventive health practices among ASU students. The members of SHAC serve as liaisons between the Mary S. Shook Student Health Services and the student body. They also organize events and provide information about various college-related health topics.
Our membership requirements include the following:
- Promote the messages of Health Services
- Like the SHAC facebook page (if you are on facebook) at facebook.com/SHACASU
- Attend 5 of 7 Meetings
- Volunteer for a minimum of 3 different events for a total of 1 or more hours per event (a minimum total of 6 hours per semester)
- Complete the SHAC Service Hours spreadsheet (located on the SHAC AsULearn page) by Monday, November, 25th at 5pm
*Note: Membership in this club is FREE. Students can join at the beginning of each semester.
SHAC Officers and Staff Advisor, Fall 2013 - Spring 2014
You may be interested to know who is leading our group this year. We have three motivated and enthusiastic students who have hit the ground running. They are:
Rebekah Mattox (President) - firstname.lastname@example.org
SHAC Subcommittees and Projects, Fall 2013 - Spring 2014
We are excited about our projects for the coming year and would love to include you in our group. For your consideration and reference, you can view our subcommittees and projects for this semester below. They include:
Spring 2014 (Chairs and members to be assigned)
- Health Service and and the Pharmacy Promotion
- Survey to students
- HPV campus information session in March
- Prescription drug take-back promotion
- Trainings (such as avoiding copyright violations from the internet when developing health promotion materials)
1. Flu Prevention and Management Promotion (Co-Chairs: Hannah McGlamery, Jayvaughn Oliver, and Jason Smith)
- Flu Vaccination After Hours Clinic Staffing (in Trivette and Central Dining Halls)
- Flu Kit Stuffing
2. Pharmacy Promotion (Co-Chairs: Lin Phung and Katie Puff)
- Create a display in Health Service
- Stuff the Plan B bags with information and resources about sexual assault
3. Immunization Promotion and Health Fair Planning (Chair: Aubrie Rial)
- Marketing for Immunizations including travel immunizations, meningitis boosters, and HPV
- Coordination of Health Fair
4. Marketing Committee (Officers chair this subcommittee.)
- Marketing for SHAC recruitment
- Marketing for all SHAC events
Interested in joining? Contact one of the officers listed above and/or the staff advisor. The last possible date to join for spring, 2014 is February 19, 2014.
Miles Annas Student Services Building
614 Howard Street
ASU Box 32130
Boone, NC 28608
Phone: (828) 262-3148
Fax: (828) 262-8452
Monday - Friday: 8am-5pm
Campus Health and Safety Resources
A website about student health and safety issues.
A website about emergency preparedness and response.
Sexual Assault Resources
A website providing sexual assault prevention and response resources.
Health and Wellness Town Hall Meeting
Listing of presentations from April, 2016
There are many different wellness opportunities on campus each month. Check out the Wellness Center Event Calendar!